Dental Emergencies and What to Do If They Occur
Dental emergencies are widespread, and they often occur unexpectedly. The most important thing to do after a dental emergency occurs is to stay calm.
The following are common dental emergencies and what you can do:
- Knocked out tooth: Pick up the tooth and avoid touching the root. Place it between your cheek and gum or gently in the socket and go to the dentist. You could also place it in milk or water with salt.
- Broken tooth: Apply some ice on your cheek to reduce swelling. Pick the piece or pieces and place them in milk. You can then take it to the dentist.
- Cracked tooth: Wash your mouth with some warm water and apply some ice on the affected side of your cheek.
- Mouth injuries: Any mouth injury inside the mouth is a dental emergency. This may include puncture wounds, tears to the tongue or cheek, and lacerations. If they occur, rinse your mouth with some warm water. Try to reduce the bleeding by applying pressure on the affected part.
Don’t take any medication if it was not recommended by a general dentist. Additionally, don’t take aspirin or ibuprofen because they might cause more bleeding. However, you can take acetaminophen, which is not a blood thinner.
Only about 58% of Americans visit their dentists at least once every year. This shows that many people still don’t visit their dentists as often as they should or only visit them when there is a dental emergency.
Get Dental Emergency Services at Splendid Dental Bellaire
The importance of knowing what is considered a dental emergency is that it helps you get the right treatment immediately.
The following are some of the services at Splendid Dental Bellaire:
- Root canal services: This lengthy procedure is essential for treating patients with serious injuries on their teeth that may have left the tooth’s nerves or blood vessels exposed.
- Emergency dental services: These are services for all types of dental emergencies, from cracked teeth to infections. If you have any dental emergency, these services will give you the treatment you need.
- Tooth extractions services: Focuses on helping patients by medically removing a tooth and finding a suitable replacement, such as dental implants.
- Pediatric dentistry services: Children often suffer more dental emergencies, and these services seek to help kids retain their beautiful smiles. Pediatric dentists have special training to help them address all the needs of children.